Conditions of Participation in Kharkiv Literary Residency in 2019
On February 22, PEN Ukraine and Kharkiv Regional State Administration announced open call for applications for participation in the Kharkiv Literary Residency–2019.
In 2019, four monthly Kharkiv literary residencies are planned, i.e., spring, summer, fall and winter.
Furthermore, this year, there is one alteration of the conditions: residency participants will be two Ukrainian prose writers, one Ukrainian translator and one foreign author.
Available dates for the 2019 residencies
May 1–31: residency for Ukrainian proser
July 1–31: residency for Ukrainian translator
September 1–30: residency for a foreign proser
November 1–30: residency for Ukrainian proser
Conditions of participation in 2019
In 2019, applications for participation in four residencies will be accepted starting February 22. Application deadline is April 8, 2019.
Names of the 2019 residents will be announced on April 15, 2019.
Participation in the residency is eligible for Ukrainian prose writers and translators as well as foreign prosers who have at least 3 printed books at the time of applying.
To participate in the residency an author must provide for the jury the following materials (either in Ukrainian or English):
1. preferred dates of the residency;
2. synopsis of the prose work (novel, narrative, collection of short stories), over which the author intends to work at the residence; note that it should not exceed 5,000 characters;
3. short letter of motivation about participation in the project;
4. biographical statement;
5. reference of an acclaimed expert (writer, translator, literary critic, cultural manager).
Send your applications to an email: email@example.com.
Participant of the residency is provided with:
1. accommodation at the apartment or hotel in the center of Kharkiv;
2. three meals daily;
3. reimbursement of travel expenses;
4. grant in the amount of 5 thousand UAH (for visiting Kharkiv cultural events and getting acquainted with the most interesting places of Slobozhanshchyna).
1. to take part in a press-conference devoted to the residency;
2. to take part in one presentation or a creative evening in Kharkiv;
3. to actively participate in the cultural life of Kharkiv and Slobozhanshchyna;
4. to write the summary essay about your stay at the residency;
5. to put a note at the end of the work, synopsis of which was submitted as part of the application, stating the author has been working on it at the literary residency in Kharkiv.
Participant of the residency is selected by the jury of 5 people, which is annually appointed by the Executive Board of PEN Ukraine.
The jury does not give any reviews about submitted projects and does not discuss its decision with applicants.
Project Coordinator – Tetyana Teren (PEN Ukraine)
Project Curator – Tetyana Pylypchuk (Kharkiv Literary Museum)
Organization Partner – Kharkiv Literary Museum
Reminder that the Kharkiv Literary Residency is a joint project of PEN Ukraine and the Kharkiv Regional State Administration established in the fall of 2018. Its first resident who had the opportunity to live and work in Kharkiv for one month was a writer and translator Liuba-Paraskewija Strynadiuk.