Kharkiv Regional State Administration and PEN Ukraine have established a literary residency
The Kharkiv Literary Residency is a joint project of the Kharkiv Regional State Administration and the Ukrainian Centre of PEN International.
“We supported the initiative at once. We understand that the project of this kind is important not only for the development of Ukrainian literature but is also promotes Kharkiv and its unique culture in Ukraine and all over the world”, says the head of the Kharkiv Regional Administration Julia Svitlychna.
Any Ukrainian prose writer, who has no less than 2 published books for the moment of sending a request, can become a participant of the residency.
To take part a writer should send the following documents:
1. A summary of a prose work (novel, story or book of short stories) which the author intends to write being at the residency – up to 5 thousands characters;
2. A brief letter to justify his or her participation;
3. Biographical notes;
4. A recommendation from an authoritative expert: a writer, a translator, a literary critic or cultural manager.
Send the applications to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the year of 2018, applications are accepted from the 1st till the 28th of October. The name of the first participant will be announced on the 1st of November.
The first residency will take place from the 15th of October till the 15th of December.
A participant will be provided with
1. comfortable accommodation in a private apartment or a hotel in the center of Kharkiv;
2. full board;
3. full refund of necessary travel costs;
4. a grant of 4 thousands UAH for visiting cultural events in the city and sightseeing of the region’s most interesting and important places.
The duties of the participant are as follows:
1. to take part in a press-conference dedicated to the residency;
2. to take part in one of the book presentations or cultural events in Kharkiv;
3. to actively engage in the cultural life of the city and region;
4. to write a sum-up essay about the time spent at the residency;
5. to make a remark at the end of the work of prose (the summary of which was given to the Jury) that it was written (or the work on it was conducted) during the Kharkiv Literary Residency.
Selection of participants:
A participant is chosen by the Jury which consists of five persons who are appointed by the Executive Board of the Ukrainian PEN. The Jury does not comment on received projects and does not discuss its decision with the applicants.
In the year of 2018 the Jury consists of: Ola Hnatiuk, Serhiy Zhadan, Andriy Kurkov, Ivan Andrusiak, Halyna Kruk.
The Project’s Coordinator is Tetyana Teren (the Ukrainian PEN).
The Project’s Curator is Tetiana Pylypchuk (the Kharkiv Museum of Literature).
The Project’s Designer is Marichka Ruban.
The organizational partner is the Kharkiv Museum of Literature.
The main informational partner is media group “Nakipielo”.